Two Easy To-Do’s Before 2012 Kicks Into High Gear
The days between Christmas and New Year’s Day usually run at half speed, which is a great and glorious thing. It’s the perfect time to reconnect with family, return those not-quite-right gifts and enjoy the ever-elusive pleasure of a little downtime.
It’s also when torrents of “year in review”, “best of”, “worst of” and “predictions for the new year” articles stream in from every corner. Here are some of my favs:
- Awareness Network’s 2012 Social Marketing & New Media Predictions
- Mashable’s 5 Tech Trends to Watch in 2012
- Hubspot’s Best and Worst Brand Makeovers of 2011
- Nielsen’s Digital Tops of 2011
- Social Media Today’s 12 Blogs of Christmas – 2011
- Mashable’s App Store Rewind: Apple’s Top Apps of 2011
- Comscore’s 2011 Social Report
My twist on the new year’s article theme: Just TWO EASY ITEMS to do before the first workweek of the year, to make you – and possibly your colleagues – feel psyched and ready for 2012.
1. Write a few LinkedIn recommendations. (You know you’ve meant to!) The graphics design intern who helped during summer crunch times, the former colleague who’s now job hunting, the service provider who actually asked you to recommend him – anyone who’s done right by you professionally AND who could benefit from your online tip-of-the-hat.
2. Catch up on some reading. (Does anyone else fall behind in December?) Whether it’s hard-copy Austin Business Journals, blog posts you’ve saved in Evernote or Google Reader, or just a crowded inbox – now is a great time to catch up so you can start the new year with an uncluttered mind, desk and email account.
Happy New Year, everyone, and all the best in 2012!
Other blog posts you might be interested in: